Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer
Suffolk County Divorce Attorney
Attorney Profiles
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us
(800) 817-5029
Learn more about what sets us apart. Learn more about how we can through your transition. Learn more about delaying divorce here.
Contact Us
Divorce Law
Divorce Mediation
Collaborative Divorce
Contested Divorce
Child Custody
Child Support
Cohabitation Agreements
Divorce Litigation
Enforcement Proceedings
Grandparents’ Rights
Legal Separation
Modification Proceedings
Orders of Protection
Post Nuptial Agreements
Prenuptial Agreements
Property Distribution
Spousal Maintenance
Visitation Rights

Spousal Maintenance Calculator

Information About Orders of Protection

Attorney for Orders of Protection in Suffolk County

When you are threatened with violence, the first crucial action you must take to protect yourself is to call 911 and inform law enforcement of the incident that occurred and the injuries you may have sustained. Seeking immediate intervention will help you avoid future violence and harm. Law enforcement will take action to protect you, and will file a Domestic Incident Report which may be obtained from the precinct that responded to your call. If a spouse or other domestic partner has injured you or your children in a violent physical attack, do not hesitate to engage medical attention, as doing so may be vital to proving your future allegations; ensuring that you have photographs of any injuries you sustained is also vital.

You may proceed with your case against your spouse in District or Criminal Court or Family Court. If the allegations are serious enough and reach the threshold of criminal activity, a detective will look into and investigate the matter to determine whether the District Attorney should be prosecuting the case as a criminal matter. A Suffolk County divorce lawyer from the law offices of Jane K. Cristal, P.C will assist you in understanding the process, pursuing your rights under the law and obtaining an Order of Protection quickly.

Protect Yourself and Your Children with an Order of Protection

When threats have been made against you, seek help immediately. Call Suffolk County lawyer Jane Cristal, Esq., a lawyer with whom you will feel comfortable discussing the details of the incident. You will learn your options and be on your way to securing a better way of life. For example, you may decide to file a petition in Family Court after you have reviewed the process with your attorney at Jane K. Cristal, P.C., including all the details of the threats or actual injuries suffered, to justify being awarded an Order of Protection by the Court. Judges are inclined to issue such an order at once. The Court will not want to take risks with regard to the future safety of those who are threatened with or have suffered from domestic violence. In cases in which criminal charges are filed against the abuser, you will not necessarily need legal counsel.

Whether the matter should proceed in Family Court or Criminal Court may be decided between you and your attorney. Where the allegations are egregious, the D.A. will generally proceed with the matter in District or Criminal Court. It is also noteworthy that the burden of proof is higher in Criminal Court than in a Civil Court (Family Court). That means that in Criminal Court the complaining party must be able to prove their allegations beyond a reasonable doubt in order for the defendant to be found guilty. Whereas in Family Court, the petitioner will have to prove his or her case by the preponderance of the evidence, this is a lower burden of proof, that is, it is easier to prove. Sometimes, despite the violence perpetrated by one spouse against the other, they ultimately decide to reconcile.

If the matter is pending in Criminal Court, when the spouses reconcile or determine that they do not wish to proceed with the domestic violence case, the complainant may not be permitted to withdraw the accusation as such a determination will be made by the District Attorney. The D.A. often proceeds with the criminal case against the accused individual even though it may be against the wishes of the alleged victim. This policy evolved because it is believed that this helps avoid the problem of undue pressure being brought against the victim by the abuser to withdraw the charges. However, in Family Court, if there is reconciliation, the petitioner is free to withdraw the petition against the other. The couple then enters counseling to explore methods to achieve reconciliation. If you are experiencing difficulties in your marriage, you are well-advised to consult counsel, learn your rights and strategize as to the best way to proceed as soon as possible.

Contact a lawyer at Jane K. Cristal, P.C. if you are in danger. We serve clients throughout Suffolk and Nassau Counties, as well as Long Island, NY.

(800) 817-5029

Attorney Web DesignThe information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Jane K Cristal P.C. - Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer
Located at 200 Old Country Road, Suite 400, Mineola, NY 11501.
Phone: (800) 817-5029.
Local: (516) 739-0102.
Website: .